Sound question maybe AVerTV Studio Deluxe related

Ok, I'm kind of confused about how the audio setup is supposed to work.  I
seem to have a module called tvaudio and one called tvmixer but I have no
corresponding devices.  How are the tv programs supposed to have access to
these drivers?  According to Cardlist the AVerTV Studio has a Tda9840
sound chip supported by tvaudio.  I can see tvaudio module loading but no
indication of it finding anything.  tvmixer says the Phillips NTSC has no
mixer.  I can get video through xawtv with modprobe bttv tuner=2 radio=1,
but no sound even bypassing the sound card.  I'm using bttv 0.7.94 against
a customized 2.4.18 kernel but I have not patched the kernel with the
bttv code, rather I've been compiling it separately.

Any suggestions?  Logs that would help diagnose this problem?  Is this a
card problem or did I miss a manual to read?  I have until Friday to
return the card if this can't be made to work.

Andy Fundinger