Re: cannot change video size

On Fri, 19 Jul 2002, Dean Gao wrote:

> OS: RedHat 7.3 (kernel 2.4.18)
> Camera: Logitec QuickCam Pro 3000
> Application: CamStream (http://www.smcc.demon.nl/camstream/)

     I have kernel 2.4.18, camstream 0.25 and the same camera here working
perfectly (although another distro).

> The video size cannot be changed. I also tried to write a program to change
> the size of the video, it just didn't work.
> I guess this is some problems with the driver. Any ideas?

     Guess no.1: pwcx (the binary module) isn't loaded/not working
                 properly (maybe you have an older version?)
     Guess no.2: you need to set the framerate lower (if you set the
                 framerate at 30, the driver won't let you change the
                 resolution to more than 320x240). Nevermind what is
                 written on the box, USB v1 can only do 640x480x15fps -
                 and that is with some hefty compression going on.
                 (the windows driver is doing software interpolation
                 to get more).
     Guess no.3: maybe there is a problem with the "custom" kernel
                 that comes with RH 7.3... get a vanilla one, recompile,
                 see if your problem remains.

     As you can see, all I can do is guess, without more details... if all
this fails, please provide more information - like a "lsmod" output, your
pwc options from /etc/modules.conf, camstream version, gcc/glibc version,
and so on.

Regards,

--
Mihnea-Costin Grigore          [ "Tenebus Ipsilo Ibinem Catehens" ]
E-mail: mgc8@xxxxxxxxxxx       Home Page: http://mgc8.virtualave.net