Re: cannot open /dev/video0 - please help

I have the same set up. On Slackware 8.1. And from time to time the same
thing occurs. rmmod the modules in order followed by reloading (insmod)
sometimes fixes it. Sometimes, just insmod the modules. Sometimes, rmmod,
unplug from the USB port and reload (insmod) the modules.

The rmmod's have to be done in reverse order. If I remember correctly:

rmmod mod_quickcam
rmmod videodev
rmmod uhci #(In your case usb-uhci)
rmmod usbcore
# Unplug device. Count to 1.
insmod usbcore
insmod uhci
insmod videodev
insmod mod_quickcam

If you try to rmmod a module that has another which depends on it (for
example if you rmmod usbcore first) you get a message to the effect it
can't be removed, is in use etc. Obviously, if you have other USB devices
running you would have to rmmod those. Which is very undesireable. So,
you might try just the mod_quickcam, videodev. Though, it hasn't typically
been enough for me.

I hope we get some better answers though. Unfortunately, I suspect
Logitech just thinks people will reboot their PC's.

It's also obviously possible that, for both of us, it's the USB hardware
that is flaky, I'm assuming the QuickCam, given the nature of it.

--
Karl Hudnut    Dr. K.           Systems Administration/Systems Integration
khudnut@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx    ADK Consulting, LLC           303 668 8667