Re: Fix for AV-sync with FFMPEGrec

On Mon, Dec 31, 2001 at 12:49:03AM +0000, Stephen Davies wrote:

> > > DIVX4rec takes too much CPU - 64%
> >
> > What kind of processor are you using?
>
> Athlon 1.13GHz.

Nice.  But are you saying that one DIVX4rec is taking 64% of a 1.13GHz
Athlon?  You must be grabbing a larger frame than I.  I grab 320x240.

> I haven't compared in detail - seems much the same though.

Well, I will play with FFMPEGrec this evening then.

> I must do some proper comparisons.  But I think for the same bitrate, DIVX
> looks better.

That is/should be right.  I would hate to think that a less convenient
format, would suck up more CPU for a less than or equal to encoding.

> I'm generally inclined to use mpeg1 with a generous bit rate for stuff
> recorded for viewing once, and then reencode to DIVX4 anything to
> be kept - two pass mencoder does a nice job for me...

I have been thinking about this sort of approach too.  Although,
currently I am using 1800kbps DIVX4rec and am finding I am pruning
from my video archive faster than I would like to (need more disk).

I have been thinking about recording live with mpeg1 at higher bit
rates (I have been thinking about something in the 3000kbps area --
what are you using for your "one time" MPEG1 bitrate?) which means I
could play it while recording it, but as soon as it's done,
re-encoding down to a lower Divx4 bitrate -- at a low cpu priority so
as not to impact further capturing.

b.

--
Brian J. Murrell