Re: xawtv, Pinnacle PCTv Pro, RedHat 7.2 no stereo

On Sat, 2001-12-29 at 12:21, Mr Morkeld wrote:

> I'm runnig xawtv-3.54 on RedHat 7.2 with uname -r = 2.4.7-10.
kernel 2.4.16 here.

> I've been searching for a couple of hours now on how to get
> xawtv to operate in stereo mode.  I've read the man pages,etc
> and I've generated my .xawtv file.  The top of the file appears as:
>
> [global]
> freqtab = us-cable
> audio = stereo

i've got a sblive audio card & needed to specify the mixer device.
(#/dev/mixer: available options are -->  'vol' 'bass' 'treble' 'pcm'
'speaker' 'line' 'mic' 'cd' 'rec' 'ogain' 'line1' 'line2' 'line3' 'dig1'
'dig2' 'phin')

mine:
mixer = line

> mov-audio = stereo
>
> [defaults]
> input = Television
> norm = NTSC
>
> With channel information sections below this that appear like:
>
> [unknown (2)]
> channel = 2
>
> With this format repeated for each channel that scantv was
> able to find.
>
> I get a crystal clear picture and the sound is good however
> it is only coming through one of my headphone speakers.  I
> must assume this is mono mode.  I run KDE and I use the
> KMix tool to change the sound settings.  I know my headphones
> aren't broken because I have stereo sound with the KDE
> system sounds.

sounds like your pumping the video & audio thru the tvcard it's self
instead of using a secondary video card (ie sblive)?

> Under the KMix tool "Line 1" is where the TV audio is coming
> through.  I connected the sound from the TV card to the AUX port
> on my Soundcard.  Under Windows, with this exact setup, I was

ah, you are. check your /etc/modules.conf to make sure that you haveing
something like the following:

alias char-major-89 i2c-dev
alias char-major-81 bttv
options bttv gbuffers=32 card=52 pll=0 triton1=1 radio=0

I'm using a Pinnacyle Sys Studio PCI card and the above appears to work
better then the default settings that my distro issued.

> able to listen to TV in stereo.  I can only assume it's a driver
> issue under linux.  I haven't been able to find any information on
> my problem thus I'm asking for help in this forum.

check /usr/src/linux/Documentation/video4linux/bttv/
(linux kernel source) for info on load-time options for the bttv module.

> Any help will be greatly appreciated,
>
> Thanks in advance

dunno if this'll work. don't have a pro and also noticed inaquitities
when piping the video thru the ant option on my card...as such, i always
use svideo (or composite cable atleast) and then use rca cables to pipe
the audio thru to the sblive card on it's line-in input jack.

radioshack or other audio stores sell 'gold cables' with svideo/rca
stereo combo cables (20-50ft) or so...although it costs a bit, you'll
definitely see the quality of the video increase when using
svideo/composite. and gold type cables really top-it-off.