Re: What is future of video playback?

Hello, Tim!

On Tue, 25 Dec 2001 18:00:29 +0100 you wrote:

> On Tuesday 25 December 2001 17:24, you wrote:
> > I've found that V4L was designed and introduced as interface for video
> > capturing. But what about video playback (I mean support of YUV2RGB and BES
> > features of video card)?
> > Indeed with some conditions it would be possible to implement such driver
> > and end-user app for that. But docs says nothing about this technique. And
> > probably such implementation will be incompatible with futured extension.
>
> YUV overlays are implemented in the X11 server, the XVidia extension does
> that (man Xv). More sophisticated stuff like Motion Compensation is currently
> in an experiemental state and can be found in the XvMC extension.

I know it well. But I talked about Linux-kernel extensions (not about XV).
I interested with simply because kernel drivers have much better speed
due providing DGA to BES surface.
(Xv copies every frame from user's app to video memory and loses speed.
Many drivers perform video registers configuration before copying of
every frame due interface implementation (next frame can be codec in
other fourcc than previous one) and so on.
Well, I found that kernel has a lot of nice video capturing drivers
and even radio driver, but what about video playback?
I'm interesting with it simply because many programs already have implemented
kernel drivers (linuxvideo, mplayer). You can find there mga_vid, radeon_vid,
rage128_vid. But those drivers were implemented without any standards
and are almost incompatible.
Well marvel.sf.net have rewritten stuff mga_vid ->mgayuv.
Maybe it would be better to implement such standard (even if kernel
will not have sources of those drivers).
Simply for interoperability purposes.
> bye...

Best regards! Nick