What is future of video playback?

Hello!

I've found that V4L was designed and introduced as interface for video capturing.
But what about video playback (I mean support of YUV2RGB and BES features of
video card)?
Indeed with some conditions it would be possible to implement such driver and end-user app
for that. But docs says nothing about this technique. And probably such implementation
will be incompatible with futured extension.

Do you plan to add such feature (finely extension)?

Anyway to have qualitative support of video playback v4l lacks some useful structs and extensions
such as fourcc direct support, ioctls: VIDIOC_CONFIG_PLAYBACK, VIDIOC_START_PLAYBACK, VIDIOC_STOP_PLAYBACK,
VIDIOC_QUERY_FOURCC and some other.

Best regards! Nick