Re: Whole bunch of problems with framebuffers

Alan Cox wrote:
> >   Can XINE be made to play full speed video with a
> > framebuffer somehow? (ATI card)
>
> Why are you using frame buffer mode firstly - there are 640x480
> NTSC timings around so you ought to be able to get the right results from
> that.

   That would be my first choice, to just use normal
X windows with NTSC timings fed via a Modeline.

  Does anyone know if this can be made to work on my hardware
though, an ATI 3D Rage II with TV-out? I was only able
to get X to work via the FB.

  Part of the trick seems to be the TV-out portion which
I don't fully control. If you boot it up with the monitor
unplugged, the card initializes the TV-out and sends the
bootup screens there, and then the virtual consoles end up
there, so the framebuffers will work there.

  Is there a way to boot it up this way and get normal X
to output on the TV-out plugs?

  That would solve so many problems.

  Alternatively, if the SIS card can do this with TV-out
right now it might make more sense for me to just switch
to that card instead... or whatever card will work.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@xxxxxxx