Whole bunch of problems with framebuffers

  Ok, here's a game for the list, it's a whole lot of
little problems that I need a solution for maybe one
or two of them. I just keep trying to sidestep one problem
with an equally useful solution and instead find a new
problem.

  Like most of the list, I have been building a PVR
box. I have it to a very usable state, and just bought
and installed the TV-out capable card. (ATI 3DrageII PCI
with tvout)

  Everything was working nicely using a monitor, but switching
to the TV-out card caused all kinds of problems that I didn't
expect, I expected it to work the same as on the monitor.

  Problems:

  When running X in the FB, I use xawtv, and it works fine, performance
is very acceptable in the framebuffer. However, to play back
video I was using xine which was plenty fast on X but isn't
quite fast enough on X via the framebuffer. Can this be
improved somehow? Xv? SyncVB made to work with ATI?

  Can XINE be made to play full speed video with a
framebuffer somehow? (ATI card)

  Ok, I sidestepped that problem by using mplayer, which
works fast with a framebuffer and has adequate LIRC
support. Except, here's the catch with it, in order
to get full screen I use -vo vesa, and it switches
my TV out screen into some mode that doesn't show X
anymore when it ends. I can run mplayer again so it's
not dead, but X is "lost".

  I feel the above problem could possibly be solved
with "fbset" or similar, but fbset has never seemed
to really do much on my system.

  I had a similar problem with fbtv. I tried fbtv and
ditched X, and it worked, but same problems. Once mplayer
has played and exited, my screen goes black and fbtv
runs but doesn't show anything. (like the framebuffer
isn't showing). mplayer works again so it's not dead
but it's lost...

  Any ideas?

  I really just need the ability to switch between a
TV-app and an mpg player app, both using a framebuffer
(and X if required). It runs as a system script controlled
by lirc.

  Ideas? Anyone doing similar things with an ATI tv-out
card?

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@xxxxxxx