Re: Re: PVR hardware selection help

Stephen Davies wrote:

On Mon, 17 Dec 2001, Mike Frisch wrote:

Obviously the number of libraries and applications will be much less
than that of X, but I agree DirectFB seems like a MUCH better choice,
especially if it supports deinterlacing of v4l devices.  Not to mention
the lower overhead for the windowing system.  For me a PVR/DVD player
would have a minimal UI (similar to any off-the-shelf video component
with an OSD) and carrying around the baggage of X is probably not
necessary.

X baggage?  Don't confuse X and KDE/GNOME and all that.  X by itself is
pretty small.  It's even an easy fit on an iPAQ or Tuxscreen (16MB of
RAM).

It might be possible to make X small, but it is nearly impossible to refactor.

Eg. would you dear try to make it multithreaded, one thread per client application? How easy was it to add support for antialiased fonts? How easy is it to enable page flip syncing on vertical refresh for Xv clients?

--
-Torgeir