Re: Adjusting sound with v4lctl does not work on v4l2 bttv

"Brian J. Murrell" wrote:

> I just recorded yet another program with no sound.  :-(
>
> How is everyone dealing with making sure volume is up before recording
> with V4L2 and bttv2 0.7.68?
>
> I can use v4lctl to change channels but it seems to have no effect on
> volume.  Everytime I start my machine I have to start "xawtv -noxv"
> (so that it uses the v4l2 interface instead of Xv -- Xv does not give
> the volume slider in the 'o' menu, v4l2 does) and max the volume
> there.  This is of course a very tedious thing to have to do when I
> boot the machine, and indeed is unacceptable in terms of making a PVR.
>
> So I wonder how everybody else is doing this.

  There are many extremely light console based mixer
programs that allow you to script volume changes.

  I use smixer on my PVR, should be easy to find on
the net. So when my PVR does "play" I turn off the
LINE volume which shuts off the volume from the TV, and
turn on the PCM volume which enables output from
the playback. When it does "stop" I turn the TV input
back on again for watching live TV.

  I use aumix on my desktop which has a GUI, but you
can also call it with command line parameters and
it will work similar to smixer. I use this in my
desktop bootup to set the volume to where I like it.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@xxxxxxx