Re: PVR hardware selection help

Mike Frisch (mfrisch@xxxxxxxxxx):

> > Because everything they output is progressive, so they have to
> > deinterlace.  And most reasonable Windows apps for high quality
> > video sync to the vertical refresh which is difficult under Linux
> > (for example, dScaler does).
>
> What does xawtv do in this instance or is the deinterlacing handled in
> the TV card hardware?

  xawtv takes the easy way out on everything.  If you use the v4l X
module, then xawtv only shows you one field (so only 30fps instead of
60fps) and no refresh sync is done so you see tearing.  If you don't use
the X module, then xawtv shows you the interlaced frames and it looks
like garbage on a progressive display like my monitor.

  You can try out my v4l tv watcher app which outputs full-frame video
at 59.94hz (or 50hz):

  http://www.dumbterm.net/graphics/tvtime/

  And then you can see some of these judder effects too by changing your
monitor to different refresh rates.

> > > Sounds like this is a non-trivial update to the X server.
> >
> > Yeah, which needs more discussion as to what best to do.  I wish
> > more developers were interested in it.
>
> I would be interested in assisting in any way possible, but obviously
> this is all very much over my head technically.

  Just take the time to ask on an XFree mailing list when you'll see
this great feature in X, and how everything sucks until then.  :)

--
Billy Biggs
vektor@xxxxxxxxxxxx