Adjusting sound with v4lctl does not work on v4l2 bttv

I just recorded yet another program with no sound.  :-(

How is everyone dealing with making sure volume is up before recording
with V4L2 and bttv2 0.7.68?

I can use v4lctl to change channels but it seems to have no effect on
volume.  Everytime I start my machine I have to start "xawtv -noxv"
(so that it uses the v4l2 interface instead of Xv -- Xv does not give
the volume slider in the 'o' menu, v4l2 does) and max the volume
there.  This is of course a very tedious thing to have to do when I
boot the machine, and indeed is unacceptable in terms of making a PVR.

So I wonder how everybody else is doing this.

b.

--
Brian J. Murrell