Re: bttv -> MJPEG

Hi Ralf,

On Mon, 2001-12-17 at 10:49, R.Oehler@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Could anyone give me an overview what is currently the best
> tool/way to grab MJPEG from a bttv878 (Win TV-GO) card and
> edit the stream via broadcast2000 ?

mjpegtools' lavrec can do that (grab the 1.5-CVS snapshot from
http://sf.net/projects/mjpeg):

lavrec --software-encoding --format=q --geometry=352x288
/path/to/file.qt

--software-encoding: do JPEG encoding by CPU rather than by the card
(for hardware MJPEG codec boards like DC10+ and such)
--format=q: record in quicktime
--geometry: capture size (352x288)

For more options, see 'man lavrec'.

> If possible I want to grab 25 fps lossless without a/v sync-problems
> in at least 352x288 (PAL) while watching time-shifted.

lavrec should be able to do that (although JPEG isn't lossless). Results
vary per person. Most people report good A/V sync. You need a good IDE
drive, good CPU, not too many other processes, quite some V4L buffers
and no other sudden CPU activity for lavrec to work perfectly. That
probably goes for any recording app.

> How much CPU/Disk-Power is currently needed for this?

Disk-power: you need a good motherboard (ideally: 440BX) with reliable
IDE controller. System shouldn't lock while writing data. Turn on DMA on
your HDA, that should be enough. You need an CPU (for 352x288) like 600
or 700 MHz. Depends on system load, other running processes,
optimalizations, etc. I can do 352x288 on a P-II 400 with a few
framedrops per 10 seconds. Generally, a P-II 400 isn't enough, though
(especially if you use distros like Mdk/Redhat/Suse-newest that have a
lot of background processes running taking valuable CPU load that lavrec
should use for JPEG encoding). You probably won't get perfect
recordings, though, unless you have like 1 GHz of CPU power or if you
have a hardware codec board like a DC10+.

Movies recorded with lavrec are known to work with broadcast.

Ronald

--
-   .-.
-   /V\    | Ronald Bultje <rbultje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>