Audio requirements for "pause live TV"...

  Like everybody else on this list it seems, I am working
on building a PVR. Mine is basically a collection of third
party apps, but with some smoke and mirrors to make it
a little more seamless, and using lirc for the remote control
interface. So far so good.

  One problem I have run into is with sound when recreating
the pause-live-TV feature.

  What I am doing is this:

- when the "pause" button is detected by lircd, the recording
is started. (mp1e)
- The TV app (xawtv) is killed
- I grab a screenshot from the capture driver, and show it
using xv with an overlaid "Pause" graphic.

  Then I wait until the play button is pressed to start
the playback.

  When playback resumes, now a bit behind the live TV, I
use "xine -pfq" which starts from where the pause was
taken, once it's up I kill off my xv screenshot
and it all works.

  However, the two running processes (mp1e and xine) clash
over /dev/dsp, because one wants it open for reading and
one wants it open for writing.

  I am using the oss sound drivers. If I switch to ALSA
drivers or others, is there a way I can open a sound device for
reading by one process and for writing by another?

  It actually works fairly effectively other than that, so
it seems worth implementing.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@xxxxxxx