Re: fyi: recording from video tape (VHS)

On Fri, Dec 14, 2001 at 02:48:58AM -0500, Joe Thompson wrote:
> Would you care to share with the list your setup for the zoran based DC10+ and your command-line for running lavrec, if that is what you used to capture the video.
>
> I was hoping to find out if you have everything loaded in the modules.conf, and what lines you have in there. ANY info would be appreciated....
>
> Thanks,

Sorry, no, I haven't gotten around to the modules.conf part yet.  (Long story omitted.)

Running 2.4.8 kernel, debian testing, with zoran v0.9, mjpegtools v1.4.1.

Reserve about 40M at boot with a "mem=XXX" append, which has worked well for me from
the beginning.  Couldn't get it to work with bigphysarea patch in the afternoon I
had allotted to try it, so went back to reserving highmem at boot. Fortunately, zoran's
the only tool I use over there which even thinks to use highmem, so no contentions.

Using the update script what comes with zoran, I made the following changes:
	. commented out the insmod lines for cards I don't have (Buz and LML33)
	. removed $I2COPTS from the insmod lines for i2c[-old]
	. for the insmod of ./zoran.o, the following changes:
		added default_input=1 (defaults to S-VHS, overridden with lavrec)
		changed pass_through from 0 to 1 (personal preference)
		changed lml33dpath from 1 to 0
		uncommented v4l_bufsize AND changed from 1280 to 1296
		added v4l_nbufs=32

Because I ended up choosing to capture smaller frames, I don't need as much buffer
space as allocated, but this way gives me the option to grab larger on the fly.

Finally, my lavrec command looks like this:

   lavrec -fa -in -d2 -q100 -a16 -r44100 -s -l75 -Rl -c2 -v0 filename.%02d.avi

where

	-fa	specifies .avi format
	-in	is for NTSC on the composite input (-iN for NTSC on S-VHS)
	-d2	decimation 2, gives me 288x240 frame size, which actually expands
			well in mplayer's fullscreen playback
	-q100	means to go for 100% quality on the capture
	-r44100	is the audio sample size
	-s	means to capture in stereo (also works if input is mono)
	-l75	is for 75% of the sound recording level (I have to turn mine low
			or the es1371 gives a very tinny sound quality; I also
			turned Igain down to 22)
	-Rl	record sound from line-in
	-c2	maximum level for sync correction between audio and video
	-v0	verbosity at its lowest level

With those parameters and lavrec's default maxfilesize set to 1.6G, I get about
20 minutes of capture before it creates a new file, seamless from the previous
file.  From there I use other mjpegtools to compress the .avi files into MPEG2
format, and by the end of the day a videotape is reduced to 3-4 CDs.

FWIW, getting to this point was NOT easy; I ran into just about every problem
you can imagine with software which is, essentially, still in development. But,
IMO, worth much, much, much more than what it cost in hair-pulling.

Hope this helps.

Donna.
pudge@xxxxxxxxxx