mjpegtools-1.5 CVS

On Fri, 2001-12-14 at 03:25, Ronald Bultje wrote:
> Hi Roger,
>
> On Fri, 2001-12-14 at 04:55, Roger wrote:
> > ah...probabely a better capture card then mine.
>
> They have hardware JPEG compression, i.e. you can record high-quality
> JPEG frames without CPU load.
>
> > just downloaded these tools ...after some minor dep problems (xforms,
> > jpeg-mmx, libmovtar)..got em installed. be my first time with them.
>
> You're using 1.4.x? May I suggest to try the mjpegtools-1.5 CVS
> snapshots?

ARRRGGGHHH! & i just got done installing 1.4 on my mandrake 8.1 box!
took me like 6 hours to build & install it all (semi-properly)!!

yup. even got quicktime to build & install. xawtv had a problem building
with quicktime becuase quicktime didn't install one of it's
/usr/include/codecs.h files on install.

the mpeg stuff on source forge had deps that were still not found
becuase of non-standard locations used...etc. it took me a while here,
but i got it all to build and install.  (rpm's wouldn't build, etc, so i
reverted to tar.gz & then built the rpm's). kinda hacking it but got it
installed.

yup. somewhat disgruntled over it all as you can see :)

> Most important advantage of 1.5.x for you is probably that it can record
> video from all v4l devices supporting YUV420/planar capture (this
> includes all bttv cards). lavrec-1.4 can only record from hardware JPEG
> devices, which wouldn't be of much use to you if you don't have a DC10+,
> Buz, Marvel G200/400 with RRG or LML33.

well. 1.5 might build nicely since i have stuff installed already so the
deps would be out of the way. just need to hack some of the Makefiles
again i think to force them to find the jpeg-mmx again.

> Ronald

but, these tools are sure nice! all command line tools :) and recording
with xawtv to direct quicktime jpeg-A compression compresses as well as
the studio pctv s/w!  with quicktime jpeg-a, would be nice to record
using streamer but i get frame losage without using xawtv to record. was
thinking to hack avifile & vcrtools to work so that i can actually
record at timed intervals and to small quality files.