Re: fyi: recording from video tape (VHS)

On Friday 14 December 2001 01:14, you wrote:
> On 13 Dec 2001, Roger wrote:
> > you have any urls to point to the exact piece of equipement? (which
> > will also provide this thread with the useful info).
>
> At one time (and still?) the most popular low-cost time base corrector
> (TBC) was the DPS "personal TBC."  Low-cost is relative though; when
> these were introduced the approx $900 price was quite revolutionary.
>
> http://www.dps.com/dpsweb.nsf/Products-Desktop-TBCs?OpenPage

I believe the suggestions that a TBC is needed for clean video recording
from analog tape sources is correct. I find that a TBC is a useful device
to have on hand for a lot of other video signal clean-up and adjustment
situations.

I can add that the DPS Personal TBC-III and IV have excellent signal
quality. They are ISA form factor PC cards, but only use the ISA
connection for 12v/5v power; I keep an old AT PS case w/MB around to
house mine. They are full frame processors, supporting  Vid, Blk, Choma &
Hue level control and RGB color correction as well, but that is all done
through a serial conection either using a pricy DPS controller add-on or
via software for Amiga, DOS or Windblows.

(Having also done my own customized Amiga software to control DPS TBC's,
the serial commands are no brainer and could be addressed from linux, I
just haven't found a need yet.)

It may be simpler, though, to find a stand-alone TBC "box". Features to
look for are Full Frame (or Frame Sync), Transcoding (ie SVideo as well
as Composite ins and outs), Freeze Field/Frame and, though not a very
common feature, RGB Color correction.

DPS also makes pro-level stand alone TBC's and signal processors besides
their ISA card models. Other respectable names to look for are Hotronic,
Fortel and Prime Image.  I would look on ebay... you should be able to
find something of a quality used TBC for $500 or less.

peace
aaron