Re: fyi: recording from video tape (VHS)

On Thu, 2001-12-13 at 19:20, Nemosoft Unv. wrote:

> No, that's not the problem. If you are recording at 100x100 you are

recording 10,000 pixels, no more. <-- you mis-interpretted here.  even recording at resolutions of ~100x~100, i get dropped framerates.

> What you are probably suffering from is jitter and noise: the signal from a
> VCR is a lot less stable than the average broadcast, either analog or
> digital. So, instead of a nice and steady horizontal and vertical pulses,
> your TV card has to deal with badly defined pulse levels, and pulse
> widths/intervals that differ from one line to another. Most cards have a
> computerized PLL (Phased Locked Loop) that can't deal with this (TVs
> usually do better).

yup.

> You mention it's an old tape, which makes matters worse. You probably have
> 'drag' at the top of bottom of the image (a few skewed lines), which will
> almost certainly trash your vertical sync.

double yupper ;-)

> > so the variance in quality of recording between a vhs tape & DSS/Cable
> > box is drastic.  i think the quality of the vhs tape also has allot to
> > do with it because as a tape gets older, there tends to be more abnormal
> > colors on playback (greens, fuzz, etc)...also, maybe becuase it was
> > recorded by a unsteady hand using a one of those vhs cam
> > recorders(?)...as such, instead of people just moving, you get the whole
> > image canvas also moving becuase of the 'unsteady  hand' when recording.
>
> Again, the problem lies not in the amount of change in the picture [*], but
> everything with a crappy handycam, and probably a low quality video8 to
> VHS tape-over (there aren't many VHS camcorders out there...).

well. specifics are unknown on the recording method...but it probabely
was some sort of handy cam.

> As for a solution: I don't think there's a lot you can do on the computer
> side... Cleaning the VCR, winding the tape back and forth once so it sits
> nicely on the reels might help. The trick is to get as stable (in
> electronic sense) a picture as possible.

nah. it's too bad. we aren't talking 1 or 2 dropped frames...lol.  we're
talking like... allot! lol
Farrell who also replied to this thread pretty much had the solution.

eh, and i was going to go out and grab a better video capture card,
becuase i thought THAT was the problem...guess not. ..or maybe. mmm.