Re: fyi: recording from video tape (VHS)

On Thu, 2001-12-13 at 17:58, farrellj wrote:

> 	What happens with Video Tape Recorders when playing back tapes, esp
> old tapes on old machines, is that there is some slippage of the tape in the
> transport, and this causes strange effects such as a red discolouration at
> the top, or garbled pixels at the bottom. What is needed to fix this is what
> is called a "Time Base Corrector", or a TBC. This is really just a giant ram
> buffer that makes sure it has each full scan before sending it to it's
> output...and whatever digitizing card/software you have. Some high end
> digitizing cards+software under that Other OS<tm> supposedly have TBC
> fucntion built into them...but I don't know, since I have been out of the
> business for about 5 years. I was using the ActionMedia II card to digitize
> audio/video for multi-media kiosks under OS/2 back in the mid-90s. NO
> built-in TBC, and we had to rent one at $100 a day...much be cheaper
> nowadays, since they are mostly just a huge bank of RAM.
>
> ttyl
>      Farrell

so basically i'm looking for a 2nd external box that hooks in-between
the vhs player/recorder and my computer (with video capture card) right?

this 2nd box is as you described...a huge bank of ram...or
something..lol

you have any urls to point to the exact piece of equipement? (which will
also provide this thread with the useful info).