Re: fyi: recording from video tape (VHS)

On Thu, 2001-12-13 at 15:00, Billy Biggs wrote:
> Roger (roger.maillist@xxxxxxxxxxxx):
>
> > lol. don't do it right?
> >
> > when i recorded from an old video tape (VHS) to preserve it digitally,
> > I noticed that my p3 2x750 dropped frames like crazy.
> >
> > although, when i capture stuff normally thru an s-video cable to my
> > DSS, frame rate & quality are ...excellent..i guess.
> >
> > geez.  guess there's just too much color and pixel movement in VHS
> > tapes.
>
>   What application are you using, and what capture card, and what
> framerate and frame size?
>
> --
> Billy Biggs
> vektor@xxxxxxxxxxxx

bah! it doesn't matter. just for ref tho, xawtv.  even with the lowest
settings of 16 bit color instead of 24/32 and @ 100x100 or so (i usually
record at 352x240 or so). lol.  i think it's becuase the format is way
to detailed & in a vhs, there's probabely too many pixels to record.

if i use svideo or composite for my DSS box or other cable box, no
problems. i stay way within range of dropped frames. yes. a big big
diff.  i can almost do 32bit color at 352x240 at 30fps but this is
really stretching it tho i think.

so the variance in quality of recording between a vhs tape & DSS/Cable
box is drastic.  i think the quality of the vhs tape also has allot to
do with it because as a tape gets older, there tends to be more abnormal
colors on playback (greens, fuzz, etc)...also, maybe becuase it was
recorded by a unsteady hand using a one of those vhs cam
recorders(?)...as such, instead of people just moving, you get the whole
image canvas also moving becuase of the 'unsteady  hand' when recording.

eh...go figure. it's really probabely a known problem, but i can find
the terminology to associate this phenomenon with.