Re: PVR hardware selection help

"Brian J. Murrell" wrote:
> Why did you choose 352x240?  My TV-Out video card requires I set it to
> 640x480 for TV-Out so I record in 320x240 so that scaling by 2 in the
> x and y directions gives a nice 640x480.

  Basically, for VCDs.

  If I set it 1150kbit/s then anything I record with the PVR
can be burned directly to VCD and then saved and played in
any DVD player when desired.

  I use twice that bit rate normally, which my DVD player will
also support as a VCD, but it's nonstandard. (although then only
about a half hour per disc, nice to save that favorite Simpson's
episode, but four discs for a movie isn't a good thing)

> > at 2.3Mb/s.
>
> Using what?

  I use mp1e, but I am open to options. I want to look into
NVRec but mp1e seems to work fine so I'm currently focusing
my development on other parts of the project. (basically the
lirc component for the remote)

  You mention using DivXrec which likely give better picture quality
for the same bit rate, although it won't be able to be burned
to VCD without reconversion (which will likely make the picture
unacceptable, it's already been compressed and uncompressed once
by the satellite people, two more and it's a dog's breakfast)

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@xxxxxxx