Re: PVR hardware selection help

On Thu, Dec 13, 2001 at 01:33:47AM -0500, Trevor Boicey wrote:

>   Personally I can get an hour per gig using "watchable" quality
> settings of 352x240

Why did you choose 352x240?  My TV-Out video card requires I set it to
640x480 for TV-Out so I record in 320x240 so that scaling by 2 in the
x and y directions gives a nice 640x480.

> at 2.3Mb/s.

Using what?

>   2.3Mbit makes for a very watchable picture.

I have been using 1.8Mbit with NVrec's DIVXrec.

>   I got an ATI Rage 8MB PCI card with Tv-out for $35cdn. ($23us?) and
> it has more than enough horsepower to show the image. A big 3D
> processor and 32M of vram would likely be wasted on a PVR.

Right!  I have an ATI Rage IIC:

00:0d.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc 3D Rage IIC
215IIC [Mach64 GT IIC] (rev 3a)

but I don't think it even has an Xvideo XFree driver never mind
TV-Out.  :-(

>   I found the coax in video quality to be unacceptable.

It is fairly bad.  But when all you got is analog cable what can you
do?

> The
> noise in the image is especially bad because it then gets compressed
> and makes more artifacts as the encoder tries diligently to
> reproduce all those freckles. :<

Tell me about it.

>   As for coax out, few cards will support this. (None that
> I know) You might have to use the composite out and the video
> in of your VCR if you are short of jacks.

As long as you are not using braindead hardware like the Matrox G400
which turns Macrovision on on the TV-Out port.  In that sort of case
you need the RF modulator I described in my other message on this
thread.

b.

--
Brian J. Murrell