Re: Virtual video device?

Quoting bacterium@xxxxxxx <bacterium@xxxxxxx>:

> Would it be possible to write a virtual video device (i.e. no hardware)
> that would take a series of frames and dump them to /dev/video as a
> video sequence which could then be viewed by another app? Has anyone
> already done this? Any hints on how I could do this? (Source code
> samples appreciated.) Ideally, it would be done without a kernel module
> (i.e. in user space). The v4l api draft isn't terribly descriptive.

You do it in kernel space because you want to plug into videodev.o
interface. The driver will be very simple, it only needs to give prepared
frames to anyone who cares to read.

usbvideo module has several routines to fake video frames, but I am afraid
this code is too big to be a good prototype. I believe there was a
multi-part publication on LinuxToday or something, about a year ago, which
contained several good samples.

Dmitri

--
Atlantis was lost because of the Y2K problem.