bttv2 locking up, pinpointed

  Hello. I've been having a bit of a discussion with
Justin about my bttv2 lockup problems. It seems I can
now pinpoint exactly when it happens, and sidestep it. However,
the method I use implies that something isn't quite
right in the driver, which brings me to this list
for an opinion.

  Background:

  My hardware is very plain, Celeron 500 with a Zoltrix
video capture card. (basically a one-chip bt848 card
with composite and SVideo in, no tuner, no radio).

  I am using bttv2 so that I can get v4l2 and use
mp1e to do real time mpeg1 recording.

  Anyway, I was able to reduce my setup to the
following script:

insmod /root/modules_for_bttv/videodevX/videodevX.o
insmod /root/modules_for_bttv/driver/bttv2.o
/usr/local/bin/v4lctl setinput "composite 0"
sleep 5
/usr/local/bin/v4lctl setnorm ntsc
/usr/local/bin/mp1e -m 3 -f 30 -n 300 -v > /root/zzz/foo.mpg

  The magic observation, after a thousand scripted
reboots, is that if that "sleep 5" isn't in there
the system will crash at the mp1e command almost
every time.

  As long as the sleep command is in there, it can
complete successfully 50 reboots in a row without
a hiccup.

  Essentially, if the two v4lctl commands happen too
close together, the card gets unstable and any attempt
to read from it with mp1e or xawtv will freeze the
system.

  I *THINK* this bug also bites me in v4l1, but it's
harder for me to test because the v4lctl commands don't
seem to do anything. However, if I start xawtv and
switch from tuner->composite and PAL->NTSC as fast
as I can with the mouse, it will sometimes freeze.

  I don't know the driver internals enough to take it
beyond here, but has anyone else observed this
phenomena?

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@xxxxxxx