Re: Re: loading modules

Quoting YH <yh86us@xxxxxxxxx>:

> Thanks Dmitri. If this is ok, then I am wondering what is the cause of
> "/dev/video0 cannot be opened" while running vl4-conf or testquickcam. The
> message from /var/log/messages is "modprobe: Can't locate module
> char-major-81-0".
>
> The video0 has a logical link to /dev/video0 and are permitted to be accessed
> by users.

You probably mean this:

# ln -s /dev/video0 /dev/video

> The quickcam has been registered after running quickcam.sh. I added
> "alias char-major-81 videodev" and "alias char-major-81-0 quickcam" into the
> /etc/modules.conf, but it is still not working.

Generally, you should ask Quickcam developers (I am not one of them). But
from what I see, the driver for the camera is not loaded, or the camera is
not plugged in, or the driver hasn't claimed the camera. You need to have
a look at files:

/proc/bus/usb/devices
/var/log/messages          <== When you plug the camera in too!

and run

/sbin/lsmod

If everything seems to be OK then I guess you need to email Quickcam
people *and* send them the information from these files. I don't have this
camera and can't tell you what is wrong, unless it's something very
simple.

Dmitri

--
/*
 * Oops. The kernel tried to access some bad page. We'll have to