Re: Re: xawtv doesn't use v4l2 interface all the time

On Mon, Dec 03, 2001 at 10:08:39AM +0000, Gerd Knorr wrote:

> It tries using Xvideo first,

I don't know the standards/interfaces.  I didn't know Xvideo had a TV
tuning/capturing/control interface.

> then v4l2, then v4l.  "xawtv -hwscan"
> prints a list of available devices.

I just tried xawtv and it had all of the "new" doohickies (Burst,
Chroma Comb Filter, Luma Comb Filter, VCR Hack, etc.) again.  When it
doesn't again, I will try the "-hwscan" and see what it cranks out.

> >  If I start zapping right after it does have all of the fancy v4l2
> >  doo-hickeys.
>
> Hmm, no idea why starting zapping once makes a difference there ...

I mis-worded what I was trying to say.  What I meant was that zapping
sees the enhanced API that gives all the new doohickeys in it's
control pane.  Xawtv still does not see the enhanced API even after
starting and exiting zapping.  I have not yet really figured out what
steps cause xawtv to see them again.  It could be removing of modules
and re-insmoding them.

> v4lctl should work

It doesn't.  "v4lctl volume 0" does not cause the volume to go down.
The panel that xawtv brings up when you hit 'o' does have a volume
control slider (only when the enhanced API is used) and that volume
control slider does work when I slide it with the mouse.

> (assuming the hardware can handle volume control,
> this isn't true for every TV card).

I am assuming mine does due to the presence of a working volume
control in the 'o' panel in xawtv.  Is that a wrong assumption?

b.

--
Brian J. Murrell