Re: A call for unity

On Thu, Nov 29, 2001 at 08:26:10PM +0100, Ronald Bultje wrote:
> Hello,

Hi.

> On Thu, 2001-11-29 at 19:20, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> > > Concerning the recorder, have a look at gstreamer
> > > (http://www.gstreamer.net/).
> >
> > I did look at it.  I sure do like the idea.  A real "plug together"
> > concept that would hopefully be flexible enough to deal with different
> > hardware in a single solution.  I could not successfully get it to
> > record from v4l and encode into a file though.  Seemed like the v4l
> > input plug was just not there yet.
>
> True... The docs are quite clear about it.... "v4lsrc breaks when
> looking at it"... I just started all over again.

Yup.  I was hoping the docs were out of date with respect to the
v4lsrc.

> Well, I was. But v4lsrc is still almost-broken :-).

:-)

[ large snippage ]

Sounds like you have two major steps.  The first is replacing/fixing
v4lsrc in gstreamer.  Since you are doing that, v4l2 support would be
nice (I think :-).  That sounds like a pure "gstreamer" issue.  The
work you would do there would relate completely to gstreamer.

Once that is done another project, dependent on gstreamer could be
invented/started to do the library/gui application.  It might be that
this part of your project could be encompassed in the OpenPVR project
(http://sourceforge.net/projects/openpvr/).  The viewing/capturing
application that you envision sounds very much like a major component
in the OpenPVR project.

What do you think?  Am I offbase about any of this?

b.

--
Brian J. Murrell