Re: A call for unity

On Thu, Nov 29, 2001 at 03:17:31PM +0100, Ronald Bultje wrote:

> Welcome to the world of opensource.

:-)  That is true, but I am all too interested in collecting our
efforts toward a PVR.  The more help on one common (and narrow!) goal
the better.  I don't to wind up with a dozen mediocre PVR solutions
like we now have mediocre GUI e-mail clients (my opinion only, let's
not start a MUA flame-war here).

> Concerning the recorder, have a look at gstreamer
> (http://www.gstreamer.net/).

I did look at it.  I sure do like the idea.  A real "plug together"
concept that would hopefully be flexible enough to deal with different
hardware in a single solution.  I could not successfully get it to
record from v4l and encode into a file though.  Seemed like the v4l
input plug was just not there yet.

> I have some nice ideas based on gstreamer
> which are pretty much exactly what you're suggesting. If anyone is
> interested, I can explain a bit (about my ideas and gstreamer in
> general).

OK.

If you were even successful in getting it to capture from a v4l device
that would be nice to know.

b.

--
Brian J. Murrell