A call for unity

Forgive me for being presumptuous. I really am just starting to learn about
the area of TV playing/capture/playback/PVR's under Linux.

However just having spent a few days getting some bits of this working, and
reading this list, it has become apparent that we have a serious case of
"more than one way to do it" to quote a perl saying.

Everywhere I look in this area, I find several projects. None of them are
really complete and fully functional, and it appears, at least to me, that
most of them are one or two person operations (at least 90% of the code
contributed by these 1 or 2 coders).

I started a thread a day or 2 ago about PVR's which apparently has led to
the establishment of 2 different projects for that!

Lets look at the development model of Linux itself. There are not several
different Linux project (I'm speaking of the kernel here). Yes I know about
(and use several of) the other free *ix'sm that's not the point.

What I'm proposing is that this effort needs to work together more. Dow we
really need 10 -> 15 different coders (perhaps here we do). Do we really
need 3 to 4 recorders, none of which is really complete yet? Do we really
need several different schedule data acquisition systems? Yes these all
down load to various storage mediums (XML, MySql, PostgreSQL, flat files), but
is it productive to be reinventing all the common pieces here.

Can't we bring together most of this under some sort of umbrella
organization? If we could, we would be able to better utilize all these
very smart, educated, and hard working folks in an effort to generate a
world class video processing system.

We all need to keep in mind that clasiclly it's the applications that cause
purchasing decisions for the OS to be made. Remember VisaCalc? Sold a lot
of Apples II's with their OS. Lotus 123 sold a lot of IBM PC's (and clones)
thus creating a generation of DOS users. I could go one, but you get the
point.

Is there some way we can pull all of this together? A Gnome like project
for this specialty perhaps?

I think the thing that triggered this tirade was the creation of TWO mailing
lists on the same day for PVR's!

Thanks for luting me rant.

--
Stan Brown     stanb@xxxxxxxx                                    843-745-3154