Re: OpenPVR project up and running

On Wed, Nov 28, 2001 at 08:10:49PM -0800, Billy Biggs wrote:
>   Hi Brian,

Hello Billy.

>   You can take a look at my beginnings of a pvr project in CVS at:
>
>   http://www.sf.net/projects/reetpvr/
>
>   One thing I wrote is a simple prediction-based codec.  It's fast
> enough for lossless realtime encoding, but the files it writes are
> massive

What's the storage rate in terms of bytes/sec.?

> (so I can do expensive tasks like resampling and 3:2 pulldown
> inversion using off-line algorithms).

One thing that I think could be useful for both the OpenPVR project as
well as for V4L in general is a V4L loopback device.  The ability to
(re-)capture through the V4L API the contents of a fie which is an
already captured stream would be useful for a) people to play with V4L
that don't have actual hardware (yet) and b) for doing comparisons of
codecs and encoding parameters.

I find it very difficult to evaluate the results of differing capture
programs/parameters when the source data is different.

I wonder how well your work could be put towards that sort of goal.

b.

--
Brian J. Murrell