Re: Is this the list to discuss the vcr project?

Stan Brown wrote:

On Mon Nov 26 07:13:18 2001 Justin Schoeman wrote...

Don't know - it looks like you do not have the codec installed, or the directory is incorrect? (The fast motion codec worked fine for me, but under different software.)

OK, I'm not weded to _anything_ at teh moment, just exprimenting. Pleas
clue me in on what other software you are using.

I use NVrec (http://www.ee.up.ac.za/~justin/v4l2) - well, obviously I use it, that's why I wrote it ;-). My next favouite is mp1e, although I was never able to get good A/V synch from it.

mplayer uses hardware scaling when it is available - which is for "-vo x11", and some cards with the fb driver (I am not sure which though). I use "-vo xv -fs" to view full screen using hardware stretching.

I would have thought that my car (ATI) was pretty well supported. Any idea
where to check on this?

Not sure - try looking at the fb related documents in /usr/src/linux, and the mplayer homepage. I think only the matrox cards have hardware scaler support outside of X.

PS. I understand that what I _really_ need to make this work is hardware
MPEG encoding. The WinTV PVR vard seems to have this. Is anyone aware of a
way to use this under Linux?

Hardware compression isn't really required these days - especially not on a dedicated box. I have recorded a F1 race quite satisfactorily on my 600MHz Athlon using software compression.

Ah, a fgellow F1 fan!

So what does your setup to do this (both record and player side please)
look like. Perhaps I simply need to find the correct combination of
software to work with my hardware?

My software/hardware:

Athlon 600
NVrec (DIVX4rec with the "-q3" option)