Digital Cable, Digital Receivers, Digital Confusion

Got some questions on the whole analog/digital issue.  I've got
digital cable from Time Warner in Orlando, Florida.  I am
guessing that my TV card is actually picking up the analog signal
from the same cable.

Questions:
	1)	How can I tell
	2)	Is there a digital tuner card out there, that will work
		with this provider (and linux)?  There seems to be a
		digital WinTV card, but I'm not sure about it.  Digital
		is a bit overused in this context:  The output you grab
		from /dev/video0 certainly ain't analog, so when they say
		digial, what do they mean?
	3)	Is it possible to grab the digital signal as analog
		noise, and decode it?  Has anyone tried this?
	4)	Is there a way to control a Scientific Atlanta Explorer
		2000 box, preferrably without resorting to IR output.
		I'd really like, if I'm going to use the cable box as a
		tuner, to be able to do two way communication.
	5)	What is the situation with satalite on the same issues?