Re: And the fun goes on:

On Fri, Nov 23, 2001 at 09:40:09PM -0500, linguist-v4l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> OK, trying to compile the latest NVRec, I get:
>
> make[1]: Entering directory `/opt/src/dvd/ogle/NVrec-20011122'
> c++ -DPACKAGE=\"NVrec\" -DVERSION=\"20011123\"  -I. -I.
> -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -Wall -pthread
> -march=i686 -malign-double -fschedule-insns2 -O3
> -I/opt/include/avifile -c divxfile_core.cpp
> divxfile_core.cpp: In function `struct file_core_t *
> divxfile_core_init(char **, unsigned int, long long int)':
> divxfile_core.cpp:74: `fccDIV4' undeclared (first use this
> function)
> divxfile_core.cpp:74: (Each undeclared identifier is reported
> only once
> divxfile_core.cpp:74: for each function it appears in.)
> divxfile_core.cpp:170: no method `IVideoEncoder::SetExtendedAttr'
> make[1]: *** [divxfile_core.o] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/opt/src/dvd/ogle/NVrec-20011122'
>
> I've grepped everywhere I could think of, and it's right, as far
> as I can tell fccDIV4 isn't defined anywhere.
>
> I'm not sure about the IVideoEncoder thing, haven't gotten there
> yet.

Looks like you need to get avifile.  It's on SourceForge.  I grab it
from CVS rather than using snapshots.

> Is anyone interested in trying to put together a 'distribution'
> of an integrated set of these things for newbies?

Well, kinda.

I have been thinking of starting an OpenPVR[1] project on SourceForge
if nothing else, just to get the (seems like) hundreds of people all
doing this together and sharing their ideas.

I have brought together a bunch of stuff for downloading television
programming so that scheduling can be done by program title rather
than by date/time.

I also wrote a scheduler that takes all of the programs you want to
record from the downloaded programming and tries to schedule it all so
that you record as much as possible.  It does not scale well right now
I'm afraid due to it's is a brute-force search methodology for the
schedule that allows for the most recording.  It needs a com-sci
hacker to attack the algorithm looking for decompositions, etc.

> Maybe a best
> of breed player for TV/DVD/MPEG/NET plus a capture utility/net
> server and a streamer, so that people can download a single file,
> make, make install, and have working video?

Well the problem is that best-of-breed is a moving target based on
what hardware you have available, what quality you demand from your
recordings, etc.  Some people have lots of CPU so they can save on
diskspace by using CPU intensive encoders.

Some peple demand higher resolutions and better quality than others.
I am fairly happy with 320x240 at about 1800kbps but I am just
casually watching and I don't have the processor for a lot more (only
an Athlon 800).  I am sure there are lots of people here for whom that
is just unacceptable.

I have started working on a single wrapper for the various encoders
that basically takes a single set of recording parameters (chock full
of defaults) and an encoder to use and it converts the single set of
parameters to the native parameters for that encoder.  Right now it
supports DIVXrec and mp1e.  The command switches are only what I have
needed to cover so far.

It does right now support "end capture time" specification (assumes
start time is "now" for now) which is a "natural date" type of
specification (i.e. --end 3:30pm) and calculates the number of frames
needed to capture for the encoders that want a frame count rather than
a time specification.  No more having to figure out "x fps * y
num_secs * z num * minutes == n frames to capture".

> I'm a professional
> programmer, and I have a hard time, I suspect that my mother
> won't be doing any video under linux for a long time.  <G>

No, not likely.  :-)

1. Maybe LinuxPVR is more appropriate as most of this stuff is tied to
   Linux in terms of being tied to V4L[2] -- maybe if there is enough
   interest some non-linux porting will happen and then OpenPVR would
   be more appropriate again

b.

--
Brian J. Murrell