Re: Working well -- And now, for the quality

On Fri, 23 Nov 2001, Brian J. Murrell wrote:

> > Well - I use mpeg1,
>
> What tool are you using for your mpeg1?

mp1e.  Keep meaning to properly check out FFMPEGrec too.  For me ffmpeg is
completely hopeless for avsync.

> > but you must have good input video quality and have to
> > accept that you need an adequate bit rate.
>
> What bitrate and resolution do you normally mpeg1 with?  I was using
> mp1e 320x240@1800kb/s and was fairly satisfied with that for casual
> watching.

I "normally" use 2500kb/s.  But my resolution is a bit higher than you
(I'm in PAL-land).

> > If I'm keeping stuff I recompress into Divx4
>
> I have been considering this sort of process.  Record real-time with
> an mpeg1 tool (mp1e would be nice if the A/V stayed in sync) and
> convert it to Divx4 in batch mode with a niced down CPU.
>
> > - mencoder (part of
> > mplayer) is working well for me.
>
> I will try that.  I have been playing with trying to record real-time
> with it but it's "record from tv" command line a bit futched.

I haven't really tried that.

> > Shrinks my files to 1/3rd original size,
> > but Divx compression is much much CPU heavier than mpeg1.
>
> Indeed!  Too much for "time shifting" on an AMD Athlon-800.

I want to be able to real-time capture two streams (I've 2 wintv cards),
plus playback one.  mpeg1

Steve