Re: Working well -- And now, for the quality

On Fri, 23 Nov 2001 linguist-v4l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Well, I've gotten to my goal, I can now record with ffmpeg in one
> window, and play back time shifted in another window.  That's
> looking good.  Except that the video is not looking good.  It's
> got alot of what I take to be compression effects ... things look
> like big squares ...

You need a higher bit rate.  Try somewhere like 2000-4000 kbits/sec for
352x288 type resolution, 4000-6000 kbits/sec for 720x576.

> The is captured with the default options of ffmpeg, I've
> tried ofthers, but none of them seem to be able to sync the audio
> and video.

> So what format would you guys use, if you had the following
> requirements:
>
> 	1)  Cheap to decompress (300Mhz cyrus)
> 	2)	Expense of compression irrelevent (2 1.2GHZ Athalons)
> 	3)	Able to fit through a 100Mbit ethernet pipe
> 	4)	As close to lossless as possible.
>
> I guess it can be done, 'cause I'm told that with TIVO, you get
> good quality video.  What do you think?

Well - I use mpeg1, but you must have good input video quality and have to
accept that you need an adequate bit rate.

If I'm keeping stuff I recompress into Divx4 - mencoder (part of
mplayer) is working well for me.  Shrinks my files to 1/3rd original size,
but Divx compression is much much CPU heavier than mpeg1.

Steve