Re: Building a control freak's TIVO

On Thu, 22 Nov 2001, Brian J. Murrell wrote:

> Cool.  That card does hardware scaling then?  What s/w are you using
> to play video files on it?

I'm playing with mplayer, using the XVideo driver.  Other XVideo-using
software works too.  You need XFree 4.1.0 or newer for a 3dfx driver that
has XVideo support.  It does scale, but upwards only.

> > hacked the bt869 driver for
> > 720x576 output with overscan and am now more or less happy.
>
> Well the "more" in "more or less happy" is good.  What about the
> "less" part?

I guess the less is that the bt869 driver and X don't know anything about
one another.  So you are pretty much stuck in one X resolution without a
lot of fiddle to reprogram both.  The overscan is good for video playback
but a bit of a nuisance if you are trying to use X (though X tends to look
pretty bad on the TV anyway)

> Does XFree86 support TV-out with the Voodoo3 or was that part of your
> hack?

The bt869 driver, that is part of lm-sensors, enables the TV output.  But
X knows nothing about it, so its necessary to manually make sure that the
X modeline and the bt869 settings match up.

  What resolutions does it support without your hack?  I am only
> capturing at 320x240 or so so having 720x576 is not terribly important
> to me unless the hardware scaling is good enough to deal with it.

The bt869 has two "built in" resolutions - 640x480 and 800x600.  Both are
"overscan compensated" - which resizes them to make sure that they all fit
on the screen.  This is a good thing for computer output but wastes screen
space for video output.

Steve