Re: Building a control freak's TIVO

On Thu, Nov 22, 2001 at 05:57:37PM +0000, Stephen Davies wrote:

> The whole "video on Linux" is a maze of twisty passages, that's for
> sure.

Indeed.

> But all the more fun for it.

True, but I need to find time for other things.  :-)

> I ended up using a Voodoo3 card with TV-out,

Cool.  That card does hardware scaling then?  What s/w are you using
to play video files on it?

> hacked the bt869 driver for
> 720x576 output with overscan and am now more or less happy.

Well the "more" in "more or less happy" is good.  What about the
"less" part?

> My
> understanding was that the G400 worked for TV0out.

Uhm, well, yeah, I guess technically it does.  There are a few issues
though.  Only the second head supports TV-Out.  The HAL library that
Matrox provides does NOT support hardware scaling on the 2nd head.
There is an FB hack to get BES on the 2nd head but then you wind up
with an unaccellerated "first" head not usable in X.  You essentially
use up both heads just to get hardware scaled TV-Out.  Huge expense
for relatively little result.

> Unfortunately they
> can't be bought any more and the newer cards don't have TVout suppoted
> under linux... :-(

I would advise against buying one even if they were available.  I am
extremely disappointed in it.  That is why I am shopping for another
solution.  NV Geforce2 looks like the next best solution, other than
the one you give above.

Does XFree86 support TV-out with the Voodoo3 or was that part of your
hack?  What resolutions does it support without your hack?  I am only
capturing at 320x240 or so so having 720x576 is not terribly important
to me unless the hardware scaling is good enough to deal with it.  I
might some day want that larger resolution so it's nice to know there
is a hack to get it to work.

b.

--
Brian J. Murrell