Re: Building a control freak's TIVO

On Thu, Nov 22, 2001 at 08:59:36AM +0000, Stephen Davies wrote:

> I'd recommend that you look at MPlayer - a very versatile video
> player.  It can play to framebuffer for some card types at least.

Indeed!

> Don't see why you automatically eliminate playback via X.  XVideo in the
> newer versions brings great acceleration benefits.  Remember X doesn't
> have to mean a heavy environment like KDE or Gnome.

That is all true.  There are limitiations however.  I have 3 displays
on my machine, one to the TV and the other two to monitors.  I would
love to bind the two monitors together with xinerama and leave the TV
display standalone, but alas XFree86 cannot do this.  If I could do
the TV-out via a framebuffer, that would solve this problem.

Even running the TV-out on a separate X server is not an option for me
because a) XFree86 seems to have problems running to active X servers
on one machine and b) my TV-out is the 2nd head on a G400.

I am looking to replace my G400's TV-out with something better.  I
wish the Gatos project's Radeon support included TV-out.  They are
pretty cheap cards.

b.

--
Brian J. Murrell