straight forward webcam code help

Hi, there, I am new to use V4L API for programming. I have a Philips ToU cam in my RH7.2 box. The cam works well using the built-in driver in the kernel. Some programs like xawtv, camstream work well too. However I found it is difficult to retrieve the essential parts of those programs since they have lot of functions and the code is very long. I am trying to develop a small program for my robot project which just displays the image with fixed frame rate and other properties.

Could you give me some information in where to find such small example, tutorial or anything straight forward to programming webcam.

I really appreciate your help.

Li