Re: xawtv black, VHX + RHL7.2

D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:

> If I use 	startx -- -fbbpp 8 to start the X server, I can see
> the TV picture (but only in black and white).
>
> Once, when I used 	startx -- -fbbpp 16 to start the X server, I
> could see a nice colour picture.  At some point later, the machine
> froze solid, requiring a reboot.  It didn't even respond to pings
> from another machine, so the freeze was not just of the display.  I
>  have yet to figure out how to repeat this success.
>
> I tried 	startx -- -fbbpp 24 but that left me with a black xawtv
> image.

Sounds like the same problem as mine. I've tried a Rage 128 and a Radion (?) graphics card, which both give me a solid black/solid blue/colourfull (static) patterns in the xawtv window. However, using it in the RH7.1 box the Radion card is from works ok.

So, there seems to be quite a lot of incompatibility between different graphics cards/mobo chipsets/etc. The hauppage.com site has some stuff about which mobos/cards are incompatible and even a mention of Linux plus some useful links, etc --maybe worth a trip over there.

I may try flash updating my BIOS. My mobo is a Gigabyte Slot A (Athlon 600MHz) with AMD chipsets.

I hope this is of interest,
Mark