Update: System hangs when running xawtv

Big thanks to all those who volunteered to help out w/ suggestions so promptly...

People were mainly talking about hardware, so I tried the TV card in another vanilla (RH7.1) box of mine and it seemed to work a treat :) So, it seems there's definitely something funny w/ my (S3) 3D Blaster Savage 4 (doesn't allow direct memory access??).

One poss solution may have been to view xawtv remotely, but I can't work out how to configure xauth ...and now it's too late at night to learn :) Neither does it work using vncserver/vncviewer w/ default win manager.

I tried putting the TV card back in the rogue box, but swapped the video card out. That seems to have solved the hangs, but now the picture's dissapeared! :( I've tried using the /etc/modules.conf options from Roland (thanks :) and tried other options (eg from bttv mini howto), etc, but still no picture. Usually it's either black or blue or weird patterns. Nothing interesting in /var/log/messages.

I hope this is drawing to a conclusion and it's now easy for you experienced TV-viewers out there to solve the final piece of the puzzle :)

many thanks again,
Mark