The use of the Bt835 and Bt868 in a harware design

Hi,

I am wanting to develop some image processing hardware using a Xilinx Spartan 2 XC2S200 FPGA, with the 68328 Dragonball processor and ethernet interface running uCLinux as the controller, as use the EZ328SIMM and uCSIMM. I am hoping to use a Texas Instrumment TSB43AA82 IEEE1394 Firewire chip as the digital video interface. I am not sure if the Linux IEEE1394 drivers support that particular chip but they do support some TI firewire chips and I would like to lever off that work. I am hoping the programming interface will be similar across their range of Firewire chips.

I want to use the Bt835 video decoder and Bt868/9 video encoder for the analog video interface. No particular reason for that chip set other than it seemed to do the job and Bt chips are fairly prolific. I notice Conexant no longer list the Bt848 in their product catalog so I'm not sure how that sounds for
the Bt835 and Bt868/9.

I have not had much luck with google searches, and being too lazy to go through the archives of Video4linux, I thought I'd ask the list if there were any linux drivers for either of the Bt868 or Bt835 chips. I did find one company listed by google, Peritek, or some such name and they refered to their VGL-M card and the now defunct Voodoo3 board. Sounds like the VGL-M has a frame grabber front end on it.

The Bt835 only seems to support YCrCb 4:2:2 output format and not RGB 5:6:5. I am pretty much restricted to a 16 bit video bus due to the choice of processor and to pin out limitations on the FPGA. I want to use two independant 16 bit frame stores of about 512Kwords each, and once you add the Firewire chip, the video codecs and the processor interface you begin to run out of pins. I'd like to keep the digital video compatible with 16 bit VGA colour so I assume that means RGB as
well as YcrCb.

I was wondering if there were any other video encoder & decoder chips that were supported in part or in entirity by linux drivers. I believe there are Zoran chips, but I heard they did not have a particularly
good reputation..

The idea with the FPGA is to implement such things as frame rate connectivity analysis, temporal filtering tesselated region growing, clustering using distance transforms and realtime image warping.

Anyway, I hope someone out there may be able to make some suggestions about chips to use.
Thanks.

John Kent.

--
http://members.optushome.com.au/jekent