Re: USB based video capture devices?

Quoting Ashok Yerneni <ashok@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Are there any USB based video capture devices supported under linux?
> Something like the D-Link DSB-V100? I am looking for a cost effective
> linux based solution for multiple video captures and am limited by the
> number of PCI-slots.

Several devices are supported - see http://www.linux-usb.org/

However most of them are webcams. I personally have one Webcam with video
input, and I even with OEM's driver, under Win2K, it barely works. The
reason - USB is too slow for any real capture, and all "compressions" that
camera makers put in to fix that make the picture unwatchable, especially
if you need a 30 FPS 500x700 frame. That's more bytes than the USB can
transfer. To make things worse, most camera drivers on Linux do not have
decompression code because it is a trade secret.

Dmitri

--
> Compilable but broken code is even worse than working code
(Alan Cox, during a bright moment on the linux-kernel list)