Fame GTK

Hey everybody,
I am trying to write a gui for the fame mpeg encoder using gtk and I'm
having some difficulties.  Basically the only way I know how to draw to
the screen with GTK is with gdkDrawRGB() but since the encoding engine
keeps the frames in the YUV colorspace this requires a conversion which
I've implemented but as I expected is very slow.  I would like avoid
messing with the encoding thread as little as possible so as to keep it
fast.  Anybody know of a fast conversion routine.  Maybe a V4L solution
to capture in YUV and RGB to two different buffers... I doubt it.  I know
this isn't a GTK mailing list but if anybody has ideas on that end, I'd
appreciate them.