Xvideo extension, video blitter video overlay

Hey, I was wondering if anyone has any simple examples of Xv programming?
Also, when I use the x extensions to query my machine I find that I have
both an overlay and a blitter device.  Is there a good description of what
a video overlay device is, and what a video blitter is?  I want to display
v4l2 to the screen with overlays and stuff, so I thought I would use those
tools, but I don't know how they work (and am having trouble finding out).
Books, websites, FAQs, man pages, all these are very welcome, as well as
verbal definitions.  Thanks a lot, Chris