composite video with bt878

hi.

im trying to get composite video in on my Hauppauge WinTV PCI.
I just went through every single card entry in CARDLIST (all 73
of them) and the closest i could get is a black&white screen
with no audio. using the tuner works fine although the quality
is not that great which is why i wanna try composite. i think
the quality on the tuner side is due to bad cable or bad coax
amp...ive replaced the cable and it helped some..but not enough.

the card:
00:0c.0 Multimedia video controller: Brooktree Corporation Bt848 TV
with DMA push (rev 12)	Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 14
	Memory at db521000 (32-bit, prefetchable)

running bttv 0.7.83
Linux 2.2.19(custom build)
debian gnu/linux 3.0("woody")
glibc 2.2.4
Xfree86 4.1.0
Nvidia Geforce MX200 64MB (running the nvidia.com drivers)
AMD Athlon 1300Mhz
768MB SDRAM

the current "card" i have it set to is #51, ive captured a lot
of video using it and its rock solid ..just the composite doesn't
want to work.

if theres another card that works better id be happy to buy it,
or if there is a workaround thats just as good. the main use
of my card is to archive stuff off my tivo to DiVx 4.0 format.
so im not out to get some MJPEG capture card or something ..

with card #51, if i try to change to composite all i get is
a blue screen. of the cards that worked with composite that
i could actually see a picture, they were all black and white
and none had audio. of those that i could get audio through
composite(#51 does) the audio was fine but there was no video.

i'd rather buy a new capture card then use linux 2.4 too.

any ideas?

thanks!

nate