From: video4linux-list-admin@xxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:video4linux-list-admin@xxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Stephen Davies
Sent: Friday, October 26, 2001 5:47 AM
To: video4linux-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re:  RE: recording television

On Thu, 25 Oct 2001, Largo Hellenz wrote:

>   I would like to know if it is possible to record cable tv/radio onto
hard
> drive.  the idea is that if i was ever not home, and in danger of missing
> something really good, i could just ssh in and start recording.... or just
> sell my vcr in favor of crond :)
>
>   What would be a good cable TV card to get started with and what would be
> good software package to encode/compress with?

I do this - any many others do too.  I use an ordinary Hauppauge WinTV
card (actually - I have two) and use mp1e, which is part of rte, which is
part of zapping, for my recording.  I capture to mpeg1 - 352x288
resolution at 2.5Mb/s data rate gives a very good quality capture, 720x576
at 6Mb/s gives really excellent capture.

Quality of received video makes a big difference: my video comes off a
digital tv receiver as composite.

To do it this brute force way you do need a pretty strong CPU.  Mine is
1.13GHz, but I reckon 600MHz or so would do.  There are cards with
hardware compression (eg DC10+ and suchlike) which will allow use with a
slower CPU, but I'm convinced that the dumb card + fast cpu + software
approach is more versatile and all-round better.

Other capture software is around:  ffmpeg, NVrec -  I just find mp1e keeps
good audio/video sync, mpeg1 works well for me "TV quality" application.

Hope that helps,
Steve