Reducing loss of quality while recoding

Hi, List

I'm starting to try to burn video from bt878 to CD.
1) I do the grabbing with the only tool I found that ensures
   very good sync between audio and video, which uses low CPU,
   which runs without framedrops at high resolutions at a
   K6III-450 and which keeps sync also in case of eventual
   framedrops:
   "mp1e"
2) Finally I want to have a File with MPEG4 and MP2/3 inside.
   So I convert the movie with ffmpeg from MPEG1 to MPEG4.
3) The resulting video quality is always worse than the MPEG1-
   source. Even with high bitrates.

I found one systematic problem:
Isn't the MPEG4-format meant to allow for better quality at low bitrates?
Of course, conversions are lossy. I'm not quite sure, but I think,
that the MPEG4-encoder suffers from the MPEG1-artefacts, and it could
give much better results at the same bitrate, if it would get a more
original-like picture for input.
Two questions come to mind:

1) If there is a large harddisk availlable, one could bear a relatively
   low, but sufficiently artefact/lossless encoding while recording
   and recompress better afterwards.
   Which tools are availlable for this? (reliable capture and
   optimal recompression)
2) Could ffmpeg's encoders benefit from a postprocessing-filter
   between the decoder and the encoder while doing recoding?

One text I read at the internet gave theese thoughts to me:

At "http://www.math.berkeley.edu/~benrg/huffyuv.html#MJPEG";,
which describes a project for lossless video-grabbing one can
read:
> Why not use Motion JPEG?
> If you capture video in order to edit it and output it back to tape,
> then Motion JPEG is probably perfectly adequate. It's also a good
> archival format. However, if you're producing MPEG video (or any lossy
> format), you should avoid using MJPEG (or any lossy format) in your
> intermediate files if you can. The reason is that JPEG was designed
> for viewing, not image processing. JPEG achieves its compression
> by exploiting known weaknesses in the human perceptual system, but
> computers don't see images the way people do: an MJPEG clip which
> looks fine to you may not look so good to an MPEG encoder. As
> a rule, MPEG encoders are very sensitive to noise, and MJPEG
> is basically an avoidable source of noise.

Regards,
        Ralf

|  Ralf Oehler
|  GDI - Gesellschaft fuer Digitale Informationstechnik mbH
|
|  E-Mail:      R.Oehler@xxxxxxxxxx
|  Tel.:        +49 6182-9271-23
|  Fax.:        +49 6182-25035
|  Mail:        GDI, Bensbruchstraße 11, D-63533 Mainhausen
|  HTTP:        www.GDImbH.com

time is a funny concept