Re: Writing driver for proprietary PCI framegrabber card

On Fri, 19 Oct 2001, kh wrote:
> 	I'm doing a college project in computer vision systems with a limited budget, so I have to use whatever hardware is lying around - that being a PCI framegrabber card and ccd cameras which came from an integrated vision system produced by Cognex, Modular Systems Division (http://www.cognex.com), without any documentation whatsoever.
> 	The card is labelled "Acumen PCI Vision card", and supports 4 ccd cameras. Unfortunately there seems to be no mention of it on the Internet, other than a manufacturers PCI device-id.
> 	Inspecting the card was more helpful - it uses an AMCC PCI Matchmaker (S5933), for which full documentation is available. The rest of the card looks fairly custom - nothing looks like a standard part - there are custom ASICs, a Lucent DSP, a Bt481 ramdac...
> 	Is it a lost cause to try and get this card to work? If not, where should I start? Anybody come across Acumen/Cognex products or hardware before?

Unless you can get docs, writing a driver sounds pretty hopeless.  There might
be custom code you need to program into the DSP or any FPGA chips.  You can
buy bt848 cards that have a linux driver very inexpensively.  Even if your
time programming a driver for this mystery card is only worth $1/hour it's
still probably cheaper to just get a bt848 card than to write a driver for
this thing.  There are bt848 cards with four composite inputs that you could
use.